Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Shuttle Discovery

Today, we got the opportunity to watch the final flight of the Discovery and I'm so glad we did. What a great moment in history to see in front of our eyes.
We decided to head to Boiling AFB to see the fly over, since it was going to be passing over top the Potomac River. We got there just in time. As soon as we got to the side walk, we could see the 747 approaching.


What an incredibly view to see. It's something I know, I will never forget.

I was busy taking pictures, so I finally handed the camera to Courtney, so I could take it all in. Beyond breath taking!! I know McKaila is too young to remember such a thing, but I'm glad we got pictures to show her. Everytime it flew by, she was pointing at it and very excited to see it flying in front of us, so that was great to see!!


Watching Discovery go by!!

A few fun facts of the Discovery

*longest-serving orbiter in NASA's shuttle fleet
*completed 39 missions
*spent 365 days in space
*orbited the Earth 5,830 times
*traveled 148,221,675 miles



Not the greatest picture, but oh well, still pretty cool
McKaila and Grandpa staying warm. It was very windy!!!



Thankfully, they did a fly by about 3 different times. They flew directly in front of us a couple times, but other then that, the 747 circled in front of us. What a site to see, that is for sure!!!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

this is a moment you will never forget.