Monday, May 5, 2014

Windmill Island

Being a Holland native, I should remember field trips to Windmill Island, but I don't. I am pretty sure we had field trips there in elementary school, but for the life of me, I can not remember those moments. So, I told Courtney, that one thing I really wanted to do before the Tulip Time rush came in, was visit the Windmill. Luckily, for me, McKaila became slightly obsessed with windmills while we were home. She actually started finding interest in windmills while watching Little Einsteins. They had an episode on the Netherlands, and I pointed out to her that she would be seeing lots of tulips and a big windmill while we were in Holland. So, the first windmill that McKaila saw in Holland, she told daddy that it was just like the one in Little Einsteins.


 
 



 
 
The DeZwaan windmill is still in operation, so it was really interesting to walk inside the windmill and see all the steps that are taken daily to ground the flour, which they sell in the shops and also at local restaurants.
 
It was lots of fun exploring Windmill Island and we were able to walk in the windmill before it got too busy. McKaila really loved the fact that we were in the windmill, but once we got outside to walk around the middle part of the windmill, she wasn't too fond of it anymore. Guess we can say, she's not a fan of heights.

No comments: