Saturday, October 1, 2016

Promotion Ceremony and Family Day

Long overdue but not because Heather hasn't asked  me to explain what the North Carolina Air National Guard (NCANG) Family Day was all about.  Aside from an opportunity for military families to tour the base, see inside the C-130s and enjoy the festivities and food with our military family it was my promotion day.

I am still full time Active Duty Air Force only attached to North Carolina's only Air National Guard unit.  Our first mission in the NCANG is governed by North Carolina's governor and then the President of the United States.

When I came to the NCANG promotion was not just handed to me.  Unlike Active Duty, not assigned to a Guard unit, I didn't have to take a test to prove I earned the next stripe (promotion).  As soon as we landed here I had to work hard and earn the respect of complete strangers.  We all wear the same uniform but I had to earn that respect through hard work, dedication, professionalism and military bearing.  It's been a long difficult 6 months adjusting in Charlotte and Heather can contest to that.  She's been the rock at home so I can focus on my mission at work.  It's challenging and I can never understand what she goes through day-to-day but without her I wouldn't be able to do what I do.  Because of that I was able to focus, earn others respect and the next stripe as  Technical Sergeant (E-6) in the United States Air Force.  With the new stripe I earn a slightly bigger paycheck but lots more responsibility.

I'm not saying it'll be easy moving forward but with my family's support by my side it'll be that much better.

The "Reason" why I serve

Squadron Commander - Lt Col Holbrooks

McKaila tacking on my new stripes (Air Force Heritage)

Although small McKenna packs a big punch

I think Heather was waiting for this moment

She took out some of those night and weekends I had to out on me

Always wanting to be just like daddy
Sassy girl

Big Boy

Our Patriot

Out of the 3 McKenna is most likely to serve like Daddy

McKaila enjoying the perks of touring a C-130

In the Cargo Bay

NCANG

I will always cherish this picture
Walking the flightline

Mini Herc

On board the Mini Herc

Logan enjoying the ride

No comments: